Bar and Court Admissions
- California, 1978
J.D., Boalt Hall School of Law, University of California at Berkeley, 1978
M.A., with distinction, University of California at Berkeley, 1975
B.A., summa cum laude, University of California at Berkeley, 1973
Stevens A. Carey is one of the original partners of Pircher, Nichols & Meeks and is co-chair of the firm’s continuing education committee. Mr. Carey is in the firm’s real estate department and his practice centers on a broad range of transactional real estate matters. He particularly enjoys collaborating with clients to establish procedures and forms that improve efficiency in recurring transactions.
Mr. Carey’s practice emphasizes:
- Joint ventures
- Acquisitions and Dispositions
Mr. Carey is a contributing editor for The Real Estate Finance Journal, a member of the Editorial Board of Bloomberg BNA Real Estate Law & Industry Report, and a past contributor and member of the Board of Advisors of Real Estate Workouts and Asset Management. He has authored numerous articles including those identified on the attached list.
Mr. Carey’s representative transactions include:
- Representation of an institutional real estate investor in a $400 million platform venture to acquire and rent single-family homes in various cities throughout the United States
- Representation of an institutional real estate investor in the sale of its interest in a $1+ billion portfolio located throughout the United States
- Representation of a land developer in connection with a four-tiered joint venture with different institutional investors at each tier to acquire, develop and finance a mixed-use project located in the Southeastern region of the United States
- Representation of an institutional real estate investor in the acquisition of a $150+ million Class A office building in a gateway city
- Representation of an institutional real estate investor in the formation of numerous platform joint ventures with varied land developers focused on residential development throughout the United States
- Representation of a land developer in connection with the assemblage of land in the Southeastern United States for a mixed-use development and a joint venture with a multifamily residential developer to build an apartment project on the property
- Representation of an institutional real estate investor in connection with numerous ventures with local developers to acquire and develop multifamily projects in different locations throughout the United States
- Representation of an institutional real estate investor in connection with numerous loan workouts on various hotel and other projects, including a loan modification, loan forbearance, deed in lieu of foreclosure and short sale in different locations throughout the United States
- Representation of an institutional real estate investor in connection with a joint venture workout with a local land developer
Publications & Speaking Engagements
- For Publications, see link above.
- Joint Ventures Structuring & Management, IMN Real Estate General Counsel ConferenceSt. Regis Monarch Beach, Dana Point, CA, May 13, 2013
- Five JV Calculation Issues That Are Often Overlooked and MisunderstoodLos Angeles County Bar Association, Los Angeles, CA, January 26, 2012
- Negotiating the Joint Venture Agreement: Contributions, Exit Rights and Related Remedies, CA State Bar-Real Property SectionHilton Torrey Pines, La Jolla, CA, May 1, 2011
Professional & Community Affiliations
He is a member of the American Bar Association and the Los Angeles County Bar Association, and a fellow of the American College of Real Estate Lawyers.