Bar and Court Admissions
- California, 2004
J.D., University of Southern California (USC) Law School, 2004
- Member, National Moot Court Team
- President of the Student Bar Association
B.A., Columbia University, 2000
Danny Guggenheim is a partner in the firm, and dedicates the bulk of his practice to the representation of private equity funds, real estate companies, non-bank lenders and other investors in connection with commercial real estate joint ventures, financings, acquisitions and dispositions.
He is also a Lecturer in Law at the University of Southern California Gould School of Law, where he co-teaches Real Estate Law and Business (Transactions) with Professor George Lefcoe, and coordinates the annual Pircher Nichols & Meeks Real Estate Joint Venture Challenge in which law school and business school students team up to compete in a mock negotiation.
In addition to teaching at USC Gould, Mr. Guggenheim speaks frequently and has published articles on a variety of real estate topics, including the following: Co-Author, "HVCR-What? Managing Uncertainty Around HVCRE Loans," Commercial Property Executive (June 7, 2017); Co-Author, “Programmatic JVs: Structural Distinctions, Key Considerations,” Commercial Property Executive (July 6, 2016); Moderator, “Debt Panel,” Bisnow Los Angeles Capital Markets Forum (March 16, 2016); Panelist, “Real Estate JVs: Structuring Capital Call Provisions and Contribution Default Remedies,” Strafford Webinar (April 22, 2015); Author, “The IRR Ate My Capital! How IRR Hurdles in Real Estate JVs May Cannibalize Contributions Made After Promote Distributions,” Commercial Property Executive (April 21, 2015). (See News & Insights, above, for a complete list of publications and speaking engagements.)
Honors & Awards
Holds the highest peer review rating available, the "AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated" rating, from Martindale-Hubbell.
Included in the 20th (2014) Edition and all subsequent editions of The Best Lawyers in America in the practice area of Real Estate Law.
Included in the 2017 and all subsequent Southern California Super Lawyers lists, and the 2010 and 2012-2016 Southern California Super Lawyers-Rising Stars lists.
Received the Outstanding Young Lawyer Award for 2012 from the Real Property Section of the Los Angeles County Bar Association.
Mr. Guggenheim’s experience includes the following representative transactions:
- Formation of a pari passu joint venture with a local partner to acquire a litigation- and bankruptcy-entangled urban property assemblage for redevelopment, including acquisition of the properties from the prior lender, settlement of litigation with the prior owner, engagement of a property manager and development manager, and pre-development financing
- Formation of a preferred equity joint venture to develop a multi-family residential complex, including the contribution of the property to the joint venture and construction financing
- Origination of various fixed-rate and bridge loans intended for securitization and other secondary market transactions, with collateral such as retail, office, hospitality, multi-family, manufactured housing and mixed-use projects
- Acquisition of a portfolio of six hotels, located in four states and affiliated with various brands
- Acquisition of a majority interest in a portfolio of office buildings, including the related joint venture, mortgage loan assumption and new mezzanine loan
- PNM Partner Appointed to Co-teach Real Estate Course at USC Gould School of Law with Professor Lefcoe
- Pircher Completes Sixth Annual Joint Venture Challenge for Law and Business Students of UCLA, USC and UC Berkeley
- Pircher, Nichols & Meeks Represents Sponsor in Formation of Programmatic Joint Venture to Acquire up to $269 Million in Multifamily PropertiesLaw360
- Pircher, Nichols & Meeks Represents Buyer Joint Venture in $1.1 Billion Acquisition of Five Westfield Regional Malls
Publications & Speaking Engagements
- Commercial Property Executive, June 7, 2017
- Los Angeles, California, March 9, 2017
- Commercial Property Executive, July 2016
- Los Angeles, California, March 16, 2016
- Strategies for Mitigating Legal, Operational and Tax RisksApril 22, 2015
- How IRR Hurdles in Real Estate JVs May Cannibalize Contributions Made After Promote DistributionsCommercial Property Executive, April 2015
- Los Angeles, California, March 12, 2015
- Los Angeles, California, November 18, 2014
- Newport Beach, California, May 5, 2014
- Beverly Hills, California, April 23, 2014
- Business Entities (November/December 2013), November 1, 2013
- Danny Guggenheim is Session Chair at IMN’s Borrowers' Forum on Non-Bank Real Estate Finance & Subordinate DebtSanta Monica, California, September 9, 2013
- Strafford Publications, Inc., Webinar, October 2, 2012 and November 4, 2011
- The Institute For Strategic Negotiations, Webinar, February 10, 2012
- Strafford Publications, Inc., Webinar, August 30, 2011
- BNA Inc., Real Estate Industry & Law Report, April 7, 2009
Professional & Community Affiliations
Los Angeles County Bar Association, Real Estate Section, Member
State Bar of California, Real Estate Section, Member
American Bar Association, Real Estate Section, Member
USC Law School Alumni Association, Board Member
USC Law School Annual Fund & Law Firm Challenge, Executive Committee Member