Bar and Court Admissions
- California, 2004
J.D., University of Southern California Gould School of Law, 2004
- Member, National Moot Court Team
- President of the Student Bar Association
B.A., Columbia University, 2000
Daniel B. Guggenheim, partner at Pircher, dedicates the bulk of his practice to the representation of private equity funds, real estate companies, non-bank lenders and other investors in connection with commercial real estate joint ventures, financings, acquisitions and dispositions. Danny joined Pircher in 2007 as a third-year real estate associate, after having focused on mortgage and mezzanine loan originations and securitizations at a global law firm. At Pircher, he has represented ACORE Capital, Cantor Commercial Real Estate (CCRE), Centennial Real Estate, Farallon Capital Management, Northwood Investors, Platinum Equity, The Roxborough Group and Western & Southern Financial Group, among others, in some of the firm’s most complex transactions, involving real estate in nearly all 50 states as well as Canada and Mexico. Danny also serves as one of Pircher’s hiring partners and dedicates significant time to the firm’s recruiting, continuing education, thought leadership and associate mentoring programs.
Danny is actively involved in elevating the legal profession by teaching, mentoring and supporting the next generation of professionals. He has been a coach and organizer for Pircher’s Real Estate Joint Venture Challenge at major universities and, in 2018, was appointed as a Lecturer in Law at the University of Southern California’s Gould School of Law to co-teach the Real Estate Law and Business course with Professor George Lefcoe in his final semester before retirement. Danny continues to serve as a Lecturer in Law at USC Gould, teaching the Real Estate Joint Ventures course. He has also served the USC Gould Alumni Association in various capacities, most recently on its Executive Committee as Chair of Regional Programs. Danny has remained an active member of the USC Gould community over the years with current and former roles as an alumni mentor and ambassador, law firm representative for the USC Law School Annual Fund & Law Firm Challenge and reunion committee co-chair.
Beyond his formal roles at both Pircher and USC, Danny has published articles throughout commercial real estate and legal trade media and participated as a speaker in numerous conferences and webinars. He is also a member of the Real Estate Sections of the Los Angeles County Bar Association (LACBA), California Lawyers Association and American Bar Association. Danny holds the highest rating available, “AV Preeminent,” in the Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings, the gold standard in attorney ratings. Additionally, for both his client work and extensive industry involvement, he has received recognitions from Best Lawyers®, Los Angeles Business Journal, LACBA and Super Lawyers over the years.
Honors & Awards
Holds the highest peer review rating available, the “AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated” rating, from Martindale-Hubbell.
Included in the 20th (2014) edition and all subsequent editions of The Best Lawyers in America in the practice area of Real Estate Law.
Included in the 2017 and all subsequent Southern California Super Lawyers lists, and the 2010 and 2012 - 2016 Southern California Super Lawyers - Rising Stars lists.
Nominated for the 2019 Leaders in Law Awards hosted by the Los Angeles Business Journal.
Received the Outstanding Young Lawyer Award for 2012 from the Real Property Section of the Los Angeles County Bar Association.
- Representation of a private equity fund in the formation of a pari passu joint venture with a local partner to acquire a litigation- and bankruptcy-entangled urban property assemblage for redevelopment, including acquisition of the properties from the prior lender, settlement of litigation with the prior owner, engagement of a property manager and development manager, and pre-development financing from a bank
- Representation of a real estate company in the formation of multiple tiers of joint ventures with a GP co-investor, an institutional capital partner and a legacy owner to acquire a portfolio of regional malls, including the purchase of certain properties and the contribution of indirect interests in others, the assumption of existing CMBS loans with rating agency approval, a new syndicated mortgage loan and a tax protection agreement
- Representation of a foreign pension fund in the acquisition of a trophy office campus, structured as the purchase of REIT shares with respect to the office component and the purchase of a fee interest in the parking garage, including acquisition financing from a life insurance company and the formation of a private REIT
- Representation of a private equity fund in the acquisition of a development project within a high-profile opportunity zone, including a synthetic joint venture arrangement with the developer comprised of earnouts, rights of first offer and incentive management agreements, as well as the option to participate in a larger adjacent project
- Representation of a family office as the passive capital partner in a qualified opportunity zone business joint venture to develop a mixed-use project
- Representation of a private equity fund in the formation of a preferred equity joint venture to develop a multifamily residential complex, including the contribution of the property to the joint venture and construction financing
- Representation of a non-bank lender in the origination of various fixed-rate and bridge loans intended for securitization and other secondary market transactions, with collateral such as retail, office, hospitality, multifamily, manufactured housing and mixed-use projects
- Representation of a private equity fund in the acquisition of a portfolio of six hotels, located in four states and affiliated with various brands
- Representation of a private equity fund in the acquisition of a majority interest in a portfolio of office buildings, including the related joint venture, mortgage loan assumption and new mezzanine loan
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- August 2019
- June 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- PNM Partner Appointed to Co-teach Real Estate Course at USC Gould School of Law with Professor Lefcoe
- Pircher Completes Sixth Annual Joint Venture Challenge for Law and Business Students of UCLA, USC and UC Berkeley
- Pircher, Nichols & Meeks Represents Sponsor in Formation of Programmatic Joint Venture to Acquire up to $269 Million in Multifamily PropertiesLaw360
- Pircher, Nichols & Meeks Represents Buyer Joint Venture in $1.1 Billion Acquisition of Five Westfield Regional Malls2015
Publications & Speaking Engagements
- Montage Resort & Spa in Laguna Beach, California, January 17, 2019
- PNM Partner Appointed to Co-teach Real Estate Course at USC Gould School of Law with Professor LefcoeFall 2018
- Commercial Property Executive, June 7, 2017
- Los Angeles, California, March 9, 2017
- Commercial Property Executive, July 6, 2016
- Los Angeles, California, March 16, 2016
- Strategies for Mitigating Legal, Operational and Tax RisksApril 22, 2015
- How IRR Hurdles in Real Estate JVs May Cannibalize Contributions Made After Promote DistributionsCommercial Property Executive, April 21, 2015
- Los Angeles, California, March 12, 2015
- Los Angeles, California, November 18, 2014
- Newport Beach, California, May 5, 2014
- Beverly Hills, California, April 23, 2014
- Business Entities (November/December 2013), November 1, 2013
- Danny Guggenheim is Session Chair at IMN’s Borrowers’ Forum on Non-Bank Real Estate Finance & Subordinate DebtSanta Monica, California, September 9, 2013
- Strafford Publications, Inc., Webinar, October 2, 2012 and November 4, 2011
- The Institute for Strategic Negotiations, Webinar, February 10, 2012
- Strafford Publications, Inc., Webinar, August 30, 2011
- BNA Inc., Real Estate Industry & Law Report, March 24, 2009
Professional & Community Affiliations
Los Angeles County Bar Association, Real Estate Section, Member
State Bar of California, Real Estate Section, Member
American Bar Association, Real Estate Section, Member
USC Law School Alumni Association, Board Member
USC Law School Annual Fund & Law Firm Challenge, Law Firm Representative